The 'D' day - it almost seemed like a cakewalk until...

I've known of a lot of women who scare you with their stories of the amount of pain they experienced at the time of labour. In fact, the recent trend is that most women opt for Cesarean just so that they don't have to go through pain (or so they assume), and like in every other aspect of their lives, they can be in control. Sounds overly exaggerated isn't it but it's true! Nonetheless, I was not going to be one of them. I was so prepared for a normal delivery that I had even discussed the various means by which I could make myself comfortable post delivery. And in all probability the only thing that I would fall upon if the pain became unbearable, was an epidural.

There I was at the nursing home. My labour pains had just begun. All I could remember was my mom telling me to stay calm and keep myself focused on what was happening within me. I was doing just that. Gathering all the courage and guts (literally...), I started to push with every contraction. By the time it seemed unbearable and I started demanding for an epidural, I was informed that my cervix had dilated fully and I was ready to get to the final stage. It seemed rather unbelievable as I was prepared to be in pain for almost 8-12 hours (being my first time) and there I was being rushed into the operation theatre in almost 4 hours. Seeing me tensed, the doctor assured me that I was doing perfectly well and that it was only a matter of a few minutes. He guided me through the whole process of 'pushing' but something within me seemed to withstand the pressure I was exerting. About two attempts and they realized something was wrong. I was scared and far too exhausted. Trying to make sense from the chaos, I was told that my baby's head was stuck in my pelvic bone and that they would have to perform an emergency cesarean. To them it was a natural course of action, but for me it wasn't. By then, I had almost visualized holding and cuddling my baby, but it seemed like a distant dream. Soon I was sedated by a general anesthesia and the oxygen mask just took me away from this world. All I faintly remember was the fact that my baby just wouldn't cry and had to be wacked twice to be woken from the slumber.

I was back in my room and my lower body seemed as though it just didn't exist. I was under severe sedation to even register what people were telling me, forget seeing or holding my baby. Sadly, it took me a whole of 12 hours to get out of the sedation just to catch a glimpse of my creation. That's not all, it took me a whole month to get over the effect of the anesthesia that was administered in my spine. The biggest side effect is that it causes an imbalance of pressure and everytime you get up or lie down, you get an almost migrain like headache. And that's not all... The fact that they have to cut through various organs, makes them especially even more suseptable to infections and of course, the fact that they take almost 6 months to heal completely.

So do you think you can opt for such a process or are prepared for all this pain when you can get over it in the most natural manner and heal completely within a fortnight?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Having a glance on ur 'D'day i personally feel like its actually ur inner strength which has showered you with result which is the most precious gift you ever thought of.And may you be showered with one more to get feel of compelete family.